Saturday, April 10, 2010

Big Thursday

'Cause that's what my Dad always called it. And that's when my dad always dyed Easter eggs. We always used the vibrant Greek dyes; of course red and usually yellow, green, and blue also. And when my dad was feeling creative he'd make some purple with the red and blue dyes and we'd have some beautiful magenta eggs as well. Definitely my most fond and vivid memory of dying eggs is doing them Greek style with my dad, and then rubbing the almost too hot to touch eggs with olive oil to make them shiny and beautiful.

I wanted to carry on the "Big Thursday" tradition with my boys (well, I think Dylan was napping, actually ;-)) but wanted to go for a little more natural dye options. This year anyway. I'm sure I'll do the traditional Greek eggs with them another time. I used turmeric, red cabbage and annatto. The turmeric and red cabbage dyed eggs turned out great, super vibrant and gorgeous! The annatto was a little pale and speckled, but still pretty.

Our neighbor, and Kalani's best friend, Riley, joined us :)




1 comment:

Laura said...

I love that you are continuing your Dad's tradition. How fun! I felt so sick this year that we didn't get to die easter eggs. But Noah got loads of candy to make up for it!